Stored Cross-Site Scripting(Non-Privileged User to Anyone)
Vulnerability Category: A7- Cross-site Scripting
Vulnerability Description: A Stored Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability occurs when a web application sends stored strings that were provided by an attacker to a victim’s browser in such a way that the browser executes part of the string as code. The string contains malicious data and is initially stored server-side, often in the application’s database. The application later retrieves the malicious data and inserts it into a web page. This results in the victim’s browser executing the attacker’s code within a legitimate user’s session.
Impact: Stored XSS can use to steal cookies, password or to run arbitrary code on victim’s browser
● Filter input on arrival. At the point where user input is received, filter as strictlyas possible based on what is expected or valid input.
● Content Security Policy. As a last line of defense, you can use Content Security Policy (CSP) to reduce the severity of any XSS vulnerabilities that still occur.
Severity : High
CVSS v3.0 Score: 8.1
CVSS v3.0 Vector: CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:H/UI:R/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:N
How to test:
● Test all relevant “entry points” via which attacker-controllable data can enter the application’s processing, and all “exit points” at which that data might appear in the application’s responses.
● Parameters or other data within the URL query string and message body.
● Any out-of-band routes via which an attacker can deliver data into the application.
It is a type of stored XSS where attackers input is saved by server and is reflected in a totally different application used by system admin/team member.
How to Test:
● Try Injecting Blind XSS payloads into User-Agent or Referer/Origin headers and Cookie Values
● Inject Blind XSS payloads on fields like address, contact forms, first name field of credit card
Tools to test:
● XSS Hunter is the tool to use to check Blind XSS
Note: If i wrote any mistakes in my posts please notify me I will rectify and learn more about it